Q&A with 50 In The City
Thursday, 28 June 2012
50 In The City consists of 3 young lads with their Jazz/Funk genre . They just won Burnside Battle of The Bands 2012 . They've been known for their catchy song that have been played at Red Bull Bedroom Jam which is "Get Out of Bed". We got the interview with their bass player Louis Cann .
16yo guitarist Will Raftery, 16yo bassist Louis Cann, 18yo drummer Sami Butler
2. Where are you guys from?
We're all from Adelaide
3. Who’s your music inspiration?
Wow! That's impossible to answer as our influences are so broad. Everyone we listen to has an impact. We're a lucky generation because we grew up listening to our parents music with influences like Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, ABBA, Black Sabbath, The Beatles, The Monkees, Peter Paul and Mary, Bob Dylan, The Stones, Cream, The Who, The Kinks, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Cold Chisel and I could go on forever. However we are all music students, so we've been exposed to classical, romantic, jazz, choral, big band and more. We've all been very lucky in that respect. At the moment we are fascinated by the extraordinary music of Jeff Kollman, both as a solo artist and his work with The Bombastic Meatbats and Cosmosquad. If you're not familiar with him we thoroughly recommend checking him out.
4. Can you tell us how did your band form?
Simple. Our guitarist had a gig at last year's City to Bay Fun Run and he needed a bass player and drummer. He asked Sami and myself and done! That's it. It was to be a one only gig and we just clicked. We've done over 35 gigs since. And why wouldn't you want to keep playing with Will and Sami? They are freakin' awesome musicians and great friends.
5. What's the story behind your band's name?
That's easy too. When we formed of course we didn't have a name but WIll had an original song. "50 In The City", It pokes fun at his sister learning to drive and the driving instructor reminding her "It's 50 in the city". The name stuck and although it's a bit of a weird band name, it's who we are now.
6. We love "Get Out of Bed". Can you guys tell us the story behind the song, just a little bit?
Man I can't answer that! I'm the bass player, ... hahahahhaaaa!!!
7. What kind of bands are guys into at the moment?
Do you mean guys in general or us? The big thing at the moment seems to be dubstep. Kinda cool but not our thing. Death Metal is pretty darn popular in Adelaide too but again it's not really us. In fact we're writing a song at the moment called "We Don't Play Metal".
8. What are you working on at the moment?
We have a few original tunes (including "We Don't Play Metal") we're working on and we're heading into the recording studio in September. We won two band competitions recently and the prizes were recording time in two excellent pro studios. So we have 3 full days coming up at FATTRAX and CURRENT SOUND. We're so looking forward to that.
9. If you could collaborate with any musician, who would it be and why?
Wow! A hard one 'cos there are so many. I think Jeff Kollman is the greatest living rock guitarist and we just love his songwriting, he's so powerful. So how cool would it be to do a show with him? Then again, how cool would it be to have Jimmy Page as your producer or write a song with Mick Jagger or play in Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band? Another one of those questions with endless possibilities.
10. If you could play anywhere in the world, where would it be?
Easy! Wembley Stadium
11. Tell us 5 random facts about your band
1. We all play in Classical Orchestras
2. Only one of us can drive or buy a drink at a pub :(
3. We're all heading to Melbourne in July to participate in the Juilliard (New York) Winter Jazz School
4. I've known our drummer, Sami, all of my life
5. We've played over 35 gigs in our 9 months together with the biggest being on the massive stage at the Clipsal 500 V8 Supercar Championship ~ What a buzz!
12. What or who would you like to be reincarnated as?
For a bass player that's easy ~ Victor Wooten for so many reasons.