Q&A with Project Puzzles
Tuesday, 1 May 2012
|Photo courtesy of Project Puzzles|
It’s definitely a band that can't make you stop moving your body. Definitely. Project Puzzles does create fresh music. Haven't heard a band that sounds like them for a while, so it's a refreshing for my ears! Their song "I Just Wanna" started off with this atmospheric synth, then when the drum hits, that's when the guitar riffs make you dance. What a catchy hook! It's RnB, with soul and jazzy feeling, I’d say. Not to mention the nice, soulful vocal. This band's music reminds me of Prince and a little bit of Jamiroquai even, but of course in their own way. Project Puzzles is definitely a band that you have to keep an eye on!
1. Who makes up your band?
Alex Vella-Horne on vocals, Louie King on guitars, James Bowers on keyboards, Nikos Shannon on basses, and Zac Tippy Hutt on the drums.
2. Where are you guys from?
We're all from the northside of Melbourne; Hursty line mate!
3. Who’s your music inspiration?
4. Can you tell us how did your band formed?
We got together in out first incarnation for Alex's yr. 12 group music exam.
5. What's the story behind your band's name?
That is an excellent question; i don't know! Originally i think it was something Alex used when he was doing stuff around town, and then when we got a band together, we just adapted it.
6. We love "I Just Wanna". Can you guys tell us the story behind the song, just a little bit?
Well Alex came into rehearsal one day, he said he had heard a song in his sleep, and woken up and recorded a gurgled demo on his phone. It barely sounded like anything, but we picked at it untill we found a melody of sorts, and then Louie started playing around on the synth, nikos pumped out a great bass line, and hey presto! It ended up coming together in about twenty minutes.
7. What kind of bands are guys into at the moment?
Well there are so many great bands in Melbourne at the moment! Some of our favourites are Hiatus Kaiyote, Silent Jay, and Sex on Toast.
8. What are you working on at the moment?
We are getting ready to release our self-titled debut EP which we recorded at Sing Sing studios last year, and writing some tunes which will eventually be on a full length album.
9. If you could collaborate with any musician, who would it be and why?
That's a tough question! Prince is certainly a phenomenal musician, and it would amazing to work with him! But there are so amazing artists that are around at the moment it would be remiss of us not to name a recent favourite..... Flying Lotus is great, Raphael Saadiq, Madlib.........
10. If you could play anywhere in the world, where would it be?
We'd love to play in New York, Berlin, London, Paris......
11. Tell us 5 random facts about your band
1. We are all quite tall men.
2. Alex Vella Horne has more shoes than the rest of the band combined.
3. Our first gig was at The Greyhound Hotel in St. Kilda.
4. Four of us went to Princes Hill Secondary College in Carlton.
5. We once played a 5 month residency on a Monday night at The Evelyn hotel in Fitzroy.
12. What or who would you like to be reincarnated as?
A cheesy pikelet.
I Just Wanna by Project Puzzle